The Ashby Inn & Restaurant History
The Ashby Inn & Restaurant was originally built as a four-room private residence by local blacksmith Manley Pierce in 1829. The rest of the building was constructed during the Civil War. Its location, Paris, Virginia, served as an important crossroad for those travelling between Winchester, VA and the District of Columbia throughout history.
General George Washington, the Marquis de Lafayette, and John Singleton Mosby visited the village, and Generals Stonewall Jackson and Joseph E. Johnston rested on the original porch of the Inn when en route to the First Battle of Manassas the night of June 17, 1861.
What is now the Registration Office was built in 1850 by William Rogers and served as the town's General Store until the mid 1940s. The store recently reopened as the Paris Apothecary. Most of the space is virtually untouched since its closing, boasting the original wood flooring and adverts for Royal Crown Cola still visible on the windows.
In 1855, the Methodist Church bought the house for a rectory, which it remained for many years.
Circa 1940, Norman and Marie Ashby purchased the rectory and maintained it as their private residence until Norman died in 1980. John and Roma Sherman then bought the property in 1984 and opened what is now The Ashby Inn & Restaurant. The adjacent School House was built in 1893 and served as a school until 1938. It then became a private residence until 1984 when it was converted into four suites.
In 2005, the Sherman’s sold The Ashby Inn & Restaurant to Charles and Jackie Leopold.
The Chapel, which was built in 1892 by Henry Hanes, was a church until 2011. The Leopold’s purchased this property in 2015 and now use it for private events.