The Ashby Inn & Restaurant History
The Ashby Inn & Restaurant, originally built as a single-bedroom private residence in 1829, is located in the quiet village of Paris, Virginia (population 70). Just one hour west of Washington, DC, the Inn is at the very center of our country's dynamic first century. From George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette to Stonewall Jackson and John Singleton Mosby, the village has played an integral part in the lives of those who shaped America.
Long regarded as one of the very best restaurants in Northern Virginia, the Inn offers a menu that is thoughtful, expressive, and in spring and summer, inspired by its own gardens.
The Inn's guest rooms vary in size and decor. Each is furnished with 19th century pieces, including four-poster beds, hand-painted wardrobes, quilts, oriental rugs and blanket chests. Four rooms have wood burning fireplaces. Outside the Inn you will find Adirondack chairs, long manicured lawns lined with beautiful perennial flower beds and the Inn's vegetable and cutting gardens.
What would become the Ashby Inn was built circa 1829 by Manley Pierce. The original house had four rooms with additions over the years. It was on the original porch that Generals Joseph E. Johnston and Stonewall Jackson rested on their way to the First Battle of Manassas the night of June 17, 1861. The house also served as a Methodist parsonage for many years.
The Ashby family lived in the Inn for many years, managing a local general store (which still stands next to the Registration Office) and restaurant. In 1984, John & Roma Sherman purchased the house and began restorations. The School House was later acquired and extensively renovated in 1991. In 2005, the Shermans sold the Ashby to Charles and Jackie Leopold.